I found this excerpt on Fundamental Duties of Indian Citizen in one of the secondary school texts on Environment studies.. it did remind me of civics as a subject in my school days and how i used to hate it .. but isnt this feeling what almost all would reciprocate with ..
How important it is to know what the Indian constitution says and do what it takes to prove a better citizen but hardly anyone would be recalling it...
here it goes.
Article 51A of Indian constitution mentions the Fundamental Duties of Indian Citizen
It shall be the duty of every citizen of India –
1) to abide by the constitution and respect its ideals and institutions, the National flag and the National anthem
2) to cherish and follow the noble ideals which inspire our national struggle for freedom
3) to uphold and protect the sovereignty, unity and integrity of India
4) to defend the country and render national service when called upon to do so
5) to promote harmony and the spirit of common brotherhood amongst all people of India transcending religious linguistic and regional or sectional diversities; to renounce practices derogatory to the dignity of women
6) to value and preserve the rich heritage of our composite culture
7) to protect and improve the natural environment including forests, rivers, lakes, wild life and to have compassion of living creatures
8) to develop the scientific temper, humanization and the spirit of inquiry and reform
9) to safeguard public property and to abjure violence
10) to strive towards excellence in all spheres of individual and collective activity so that the nation constantly rises to higher levels of endeavour and achievement